Voltage transformers are used to step up or down the voltage from the source or distribution center. There are many kinds of voltage transformers. In 1831, the transformer was invented. Now this time, it has been used for many purposes to do. This blog will give you massive information about the use of voltage transformers.
Table of Contents
Type of Voltage Transformer
There are three types of voltage transformers. These transformers are designed for different purposes. They work with different principles. The names are given below:
- Electromagnetic Transformer: This type of transformer is a wire-wound transformer.
- Capacitor Transformer: Capacitor transformers are cheaper than electromagnetic transformers. It can also be used at high voltages. This type of transformer uses capacitance potential dividers.
- Optical Transformer: The optical voltage transformer operates using the Faraday effect principle, which rotates the polarized light in the optical material.
Features of a Voltage Transformer
There are several things to keep in mind when building a transformer. To get maximum output from a transformer, its value must be maintained within a certain range. Below are the minimum and maximum limits of maximum efficiency of a transformer are given:
- Primary voltage: 1000-10,000 Vdc
- Output: 4-20mA, 0-1Vdc, 0-5Vdc
- Accuracy: 1% over the range
- Linearity: 0.5% over the range
- Response time: 10.0 mSec
- Working Range: 0-120%
- Overload: 150% continuous
- Temperature: -30 degree Celcius to 70 degrees Celcius
- Humidity: 90%
- Isolution: 4.5KV, 1 Minute
- Supply voltage: 15-48 Vdc
Uses of Voltage Transformer
Voltage transformers measure the voltage on the substation bus and distribute it by increasing the voltage from the power plant. It also has some other uses. It is mentioned below:
- It is also used as electrical protection basically in feeders
- It is also used for synchronizing the generators with the grid
- Uses for metering circuits and relay
- It used a power generation plant for increasing voltage
- It used a power distribution plant for decreasing voltage
- Measure the voltage of a line or circuit
- Some electrical circuit uses the voltage transformer
The voltage transformer is also used for measuring the voltage, and it is also called measuring potential transformer. Transformers are used to protect the circuit. Moreover, transformers are used for both measurement and protection.